Posts Tagged ‘business carbon offsets’
Carbon offsetting allows you to mitigate the climate impact of your flights and other travel emissions, while giving back to nature and local communities.
Minimizing these carbon emissions should always be your #1 priority, but no matter how many green practices you implement, producing at least some amount of carbon is practically inescapable. That’s where carbon offsetting comes in!
Jacada Travel will offset the carbon emissions from all trips booked from May 2017 forward, including international flights booked independently
Jacada Travel is excited to announce that they will be offsetting 100% of the carbon footprint of all trips booked from May 2017 forward. This even includes international flights travellers book for themselves. International flights are the biggest contributor to the travel industry’s carbon emissions, and as such, we are proud to be the one of the first travel companies – and the only one of our size – to automatically offset the impact of these flights. Jacada Travel is donating a part of the profits from their trips to compensate for the carbon footprint of each trip on the behalf of its customers.
To achieve this, Jacada Travel has partnered with Sustainable Travel International – a global non-profit organisation with over 10 years’ experience developing successful Carbon Offset programs for tour operators and other travel and tourism industry leaders – to calculate the carbon footprint of trips and select a portfolio of high impact carbon offset projects. The portfolio selected includes community-based Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) projects in Brazil and Tanzania, and a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) zero energy water filter production and dissemination project in Cambodia. Jacada Travel’s investment in these projects will not only work towards mitigating carbon emissions, but will also provide community benefits in their respective surrounding areas, such as local livelihood creation and education and health services.
Jacada Travel’s founder, Alex Malcolm, says: “Jacada Travel is committed to being a leader in sustainable and responsible travel. With 2017 being the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development it’s now more important than ever to put these initiatives at the forefront of not only the industry but also travellers’ minds. Offsetting our carbon impact is just one of a number of ways in which we are committed to making travel uplifting for everyone, and this initiative is just the beginning for us.”
About Jacada Travel
Jacada Travel is a luxury, award-winning travel company specialising in creating bespoke, inspirational journeys to Latin America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australasia and the polar regions. Founded in 2008 by Alex Malcolm, Jacada Travel offers unique and inspired itineraries for travellers seeking a truly personal travel experience with attentive service from start to finish – from quaint vineyard hotel stays in Mendoza and Amazon tribe encounters in Peru to archaeologist-guided private tours of the Makgadikgadi Pans in Botswana.
Developing strong, lasting relationships with their local partners, Jacada Travel works to promote a sustainable and long-term boost to the economy of their destinations. For every trip they sell, they donate to a regional charity, the ultimate aim of which is to make travel uplifting for everyone.
About Sustainable Travel International
Sustainable Travel International is a non-profit organisation working to improve the lives of people around the world and the environments they rely upon. By leveraging the power of travel and tourism and providing business and government leaders with the guidance, policies and solutions they need, we aim to ensure that the communities they’re engaged in thrive and their environments are healthy for future generations. For more information, visit www.sustainabletravel.org or contact us at+1 917.677.5731.
Leila Al-Qattan, Jacada Travel: email@example.com; Jacadatravel.com
Kaitlyn Brajcich, Sustainable Travel International: firstname.lastname@example.org; +1 917.677.5731
For Earth Month United Airlines is Supporting the Restoration of the Mississippi River Valley through Carbon Offsets
The rich, alluvial soils of the Mississippi River Valley have made it the country’s most fertile agricultural region. While the valley was covered in 25 million acres of forestland until World War II — providing a habitat for cougars, black bear, bison, red fox and of course, waterfowl — industrial farming has led to widespread deforestation and today the forestland has dwindled to just five million acres.
Through Sustainable Travel International Partnership United Airlines Eco-Skies Passengers Fly Carbon Neutral During Earth MonthCHICAGO, April 14, 2015 — In honor of Earth Month, United Airlines customers traveling aboard the company’s signature Eco-Skies aircraft in April will be flying carbon neutral. Through United’s Eco-Skies CarbonChoice program, the airline is obtaining carbon offsets for all passengers and crew on every flight of the specially painted 737-900ER – aircraft #432. The Eco-Skies aircraft is also retrofitted with fuel-efficient Split Scimitar winglets, which reduce fuel consumption by up to an additional two percent over traditional winglets. Carbon offsets alleviate the impact of greenhouse gas emissions by reducing emissions from other sources.
United’s Eco-Skies 737-900ER aircraft. To download a high-res image, click here.
In collaboration with Sustainable Travel International, a non-profit organization and long-time United partner, the CarbonChoice offsets from the airline’s Eco-Skies plane are third-party verified to internationally recognized standards and will support GreenTrees’ Advanced Carbon Restored Ecosystem (ACRE) project along the Mississippi River Valley. To date, GreenTrees and its landowners have planted over 36 million trees on nearly 100,000 acres along the Mississippi Alluvial Valley. United’s support will allow GreenTrees to accelerate its success in emission reductions from 2 million metric tons of carbon dioxide to entirely new levels of conservation impact.
“Our Eco-Skies plane represents United’s strong commitment to the environment, and we’re proud of the work we do to be an environmentally responsible airline and reduce our emissions, not just in the month of April, but all year around,” said the airline’s Managing Director of Environmental Affairs and Sustainability Angela Foster-Rice.
Customers can purchase CarbonChoice offsets for travel when checking in at united.com or any time before or after a flight, and MileagePlus members can also utilize miles to purchase offsets, both by visiting united.com/carbonchoice. In addition, United’s corporate sales and cargo customers now have the ability to purchase a complete carbon-neutral travel option for all flights on United. For more information on this enterprise-level solution, please visit united.com/carbonchoice.
Along with its robust carbon-offset program, United has further demonstrated leadership in environmental sustainability by establishing several ambitious initiatives and programs. United’s recent achievements include:
- United is a leader in the advancement and use of sustainable aviation biofuel, making history in commercial aviation with its partnership with AltAir Fuels to bring commercial-scale, cost-competitive renewable jet fuel to its Los Angeles hub this year and was awarded in 2015 by the World Bio Markets for Excellence in Advanced Biofuels for this program.
- The company in early 2014 became the first airline in the world to fly with the split scimitar winglet technology that cuts fuel consumption by up to an additional 2 percent over the airline’s existing fuel-saving winglet technology.
- The company in 2014 reduced CO2 emissions by more than 1 million metric tons and reduced fuel consumption by more than 110 million gallons through fuel efficiency, equal to removing more than 225,000 cars from the road.
- The airline increased orders for new Boeing and Airbus aircraft that are 15 to 20 percent more fuel efficient than those they will replace, and now has more than 260 of these new, fuel-efficient aircraft on order.
- United Eco-Skies continues to partner and provide sustainable travel options to our customers, most recently with the introduction of Eco-Skies Vacation packages available on unitedvacations.com.
- United Eco-Skies is partnering with Smithsonian.com to encourage and recognize sustainable travelers who demonstrate leadership and an active commitment to travel for environmentally responsible purposes, generating positive social, economic, or environmental outcomes in the local communities visited. Photographers can submit their pictures in the Sustainable Travel category, made possible through the support of United Eco-Skies, by visitinghttp://www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/tags/sustainable-travel/?no-ist.
- The company’s Eco-Skies Community Grants program encourages United employees who volunteer their time and efforts to environmental organizations in their communities. To date, United has awarded nearly $100,000 to environmental organizations.