Updated March 2022
What information we collect
What is the personal information we collect?
Personally-Identifiable Information (“Personal Information”) is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person. When you visit the Services, STI and its service providers may collect personal information that you provide, such as your name, phone number, email address, billing address, mailing address, credit card or other payment information (if you make a purchase or donation), or organizational affiliation.
How do we collect your personal information?
As a general matter, STI and its service providers only collect Personal Information when you submit such information to us. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Entering your contact details on a checkout page
- Making a purchase or donation
- Signing up for our email communications
- Submitting forms on our website, such as an inquiry form or pledge form
- Using Sustainable Travel International software applications, such as our WordPress plugins
- Completing a survey
When you engage with STI on social media, we may collect basic information on your profile, including your name and profile bio, the size of your following, your social sharing activity and your content preferences from social media platforms used by you.
We may also collect information about you from other public online and offline sources, such as public databases, social media, or information published in online or print media.
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual. We collect Other Information such as IP address, browser type, mobile device type, content visited while on the Services, computer type, language, content visited while on the Services, or the duration of the use of the Services.
Collecting browser activities or IP addresses, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited, are common practices, and are often performed automatically by many websites, applications and other services for such purposes as calculating usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Services. In addition:
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Cookies: We use “cookies” and similar technology to obtain information about your visits to the Services —both individually and in an aggregated form. Cookies are pieces of data placed on your device when you visit the Services that help us recognize you when you come back to the Services. Cookies help us to: (1) Remember information you previously entered so you don’t have to re-enter it, for instance your email address or items added to your shopping cart (2) Monitor traffic and usage data that allows us to improve the Services and evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing efforts and online advertisements (3) Personalize your experience while using the Services, such as providing you with content or advertisements that are likely to appeal to you
- Pixel Tags: We use pixel tags and other similar technologies to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services, measure the success of our advertisements and marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about use of the Services and response rates.
- Email Tracking: We collect information about your interactions with email messages sent via Mailchimp, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded.
How We Use Your Information
STI may use your Personal Information:
- To send you information about STI news, programs, and opportunities if you signed up for STI emails or other updates.
- To remind you about items you’ve added to your shopping cart but have not purchased.
- To personalize your interactions with STI, such as to customize your web and email content based on your interests.
- To respond to inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you information about a product or provide membership benefits.
- To process transactions, including membership payments, carbon offset purchases, and donations.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Services and changes to our policies.
- For our internal purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products and services, enhancing, improving or modifying the Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and operating and expanding our activities.
Some of the ways we use your Personal information require us to share information with third parties, so we can provide an effective user experience and comply with laws that apply to us:
- Carbon calculator partners: If you purchase carbon offsets via one of our carbon calculators that is embedded on one of our partner’s websites, then some of your information including your name, sales total, and metric tons offset is shared with that partner. We will never share your email address or payment information with a partner unless you’ve provided us with express permission to do so.
- Law enforcement agencies or government agencies. We only share information if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or STI; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Affiliates. If we were to engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy, we would share your information with a party involved in such a process (for example, the successor organization of STI).
You can control the type of information collected through the Services, for example by not accepting cookies from STI, by erasing all STI cookies from your browser, or by not providing Personal Information when prompted. In the event you choose not to share information, STI will be unable to respond to your request for information or process your payment or donation.
Most browsers allow you to control cookies through their settings preferences. However, if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may negatively impact your overall user experience, since it will no longer be customized to you.
If you do not want to receive cookies, you can also change your browser settings on your computer or other device that you are using to access the Services. If you visit the Services without changing your browser settings, we will assume that you agree to receive all cookies on the Services.
Find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit wikipedia.org, www.allaboutcookies.org, or www.aboutcookies.org.
Communications from STI
If you wish to update your Personal Information with us or change your communications preferences or if you no longer wish to receive communications from us, please click on the “unsubscribe” link in the email STI sends to you to unsubscribe or tell us so by email at [email protected].
Does STI Collect Information from Children?
STI does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. The Services are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that STI learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have collected any personal information from a child under 13, please contact us.
Your California Privacy Rights
It is our policy not to disclose any Personal Information we collect to third parties for direct marketing purposes under any circumstances. However, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 requires that all California residents be afforded the option to exercise their choice of whether Personal Information may be shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes or not, as well as to receive information specified in the statute if Personal Information is disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Accordingly, if you are a California resident and you wish to inform us whether you permit or refuse the sharing of your personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes, or if you wish to request certain information if your personal information were to be disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes, please contact us.
Third-Party Services and Linked Websites
STI is committed to ensuring that any personal information we collect is secure. We have procedures and technology in place to safeguard and secure the information we collect. All online payments are encrypted using the Secure Socket Layers (SSL) protocol. Such transactions are processed by Payment Card Industry (PCI)-compliant vendors, such as Stripe and PayPal.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Services, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
Sustainable Travel International
3523 Burke Ave. N
Seattle, WA 98103