Sustainable Shore Excursions Program
In 2010, as part of its destination stewardship program, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. set a public goal to have 50 percent of all of unique shore excursions offered to passengers third-party verified to an internationally recognized sustainability standard by the end of 2015. The verification process ensures that providers are operating in a way that contributes to the long-term viability of the communities, cultures and environments in which they do business.
Tour operators that participate in one of the Sustainable Shore Excursion Programs will receive marketing benefits from Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., including an exclusive Sustainable Shore Excursion icon, used throughout Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. pre-departure and on-board marketing channels.
STEP: Sustainable Shore Excursion Program
To support the cruise line’s verification goal specifically and destination stewardship generally, Sustainable Travel International is offering the STEP Sustainable Shore Excursion Program, designed in partnership with Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., Conservation International and the Cruise Lines International Association. The program was developed specifically for tour operators, attractions and other providers serving the cruise industry.
Why Choose the STEP: Sustainable Shore Excursions Program?
- Support Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.’s mission to improve destination stewardship
- Develop a baseline understanding of your business’ sustainability status
- Benefit from Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. marketing incentives
- Meet demand from cruise passengers seeking sustainably-conscious excursions
- Improve your bottom line
- Access to a database of environmental, social and economic best practices to improve your bottom line and market strength
- Templates and reporting tools for developing policies, guest education and monitoring impacts against key sustainability performance indicators over time
- Understand a baseline status of your business in critical areas like:
- Sustainability planning
- Guest communications
- Environmental management
- Natural and cultural heritage
- Supply chain management
- System efficiencies and overall cost savings