STEP: Shore Excursions Program
The STEP Sustainable Shore Excursions program offered by Sustainable Travel International is an internationally recognized sustainability standard designed in partnership with Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., Conservation International and the Cruise Lines International Association to enhance the sustainability of the cruise industry. Developed specifically for tour operators, attractions and other providers serving the cruise industry, this program helps ensure that shore excursion providers are operating with environmental protection, inclusion of local communities, and cultural heritage in mind.
Why Choose the STEP: Shore Excursions Program?
- Support Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.’s mission to improve destination stewardship
- Develop a baseline understanding of your business’ sustainability status
- Ensure your business operations and the cruise industry as a whole positively impact lives and places
- Benefit from Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. marketing incentives
- Meet demand from cruise passengers seeking sustainably-conscious excursions
- Improve your bottom line
- Access to a database of environmental, social and economic best practices to improve your bottom line and market strength
- Templates and reporting tools for developing policies, guest education and monitoring impacts against key sustainability performance indicators over time
- Understand a baseline status of your business in critical areas like:
- Sustainability planning
- Guest communications
- Environmental management
- Natural and cultural heritage
- Supply chain management
- System efficiencies and overall cost savings
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. worked with Sustainable Travel International to develop the Sustainable Tourism Education Program’s (STEP) Shore Excursion Standard, based on internationally recognized criteria applicable to cruise tourism shore excursions. The SSE standard is designed to promote sustainable tourism management practices and help identify providers who offer high-quality shore excursions that also support local communities and conserve the environment. Click here to download the baseline set of criteria operators must implement to receive certification.
Sustainable Travel International used internationally accepted methods to verify our operators. This included having an independent third party remotely confirm that appropriate evidence was provided to show a baseline set of criteria were in compliance.