Marketing & Communications Volunteer
Sustainable Travel International is a non-profit organization working to protect and conserve our planet’s most vulnerable destinations by transforming tourism’s impact on nature and people. By leveraging the power of travel and tourism, which employs 1 in every 10 people on the planet, we aim to ensure that communities thrive, cultural heritage is preserved, and environments are healthy for future generations. We’ve implemented programs in more than 75 countries worldwide, focusing on destinations that possess vibrant, yet sensitive natural ecosystems and cultural assets, and where tourism is a leading economic driver.
We are seeking a fast-learning, motivated and high-performing individual to support our marketing and communications efforts. In this position, you will play an important role in communicating the impact of our programs and engaging our diverse audiences in more responsible travel, business, and destination management practices. We are looking for someone who is passionate about our planet, wants to contribute to the sustainable tourism movement, and cares about protecting destinations and strengthening communities around the world.
Our volunteer roles help the trailblazers of tomorrow gain valuable and unique hands-on work experience today with a leading sustainable tourism NGO. While this is an unpaid role, volunteers have the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge to real-world projects and initiatives, providing valuable experience in the sustainability sphere.
Please note that this is a remote position.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and pursued as received until the position is filled.
Position Duration: 3 months minimum commitment
Required Hours: Minimum of 5 hours per week
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Key responsibilities of the volunteer include:
- Conduct background research to support content development and inform marketing strategy
- Write and edit blogs, website content, and project updates
- Create and format presentations, outreach handouts, email campaigns and other communications materials
- Update organizational templates for proposals, reports, presentations, etc.
- Support the development of educational and awareness-raising materials to engage and empower audiences
- Create relevant and engaging social media posts
- Organize and update contact database and support partner outreach
- Identify and prep images for use in communications, and assist with digital asset management
- Support PR efforts and liaise with journalists and bloggers
- Track and analyze marketing analytics
- Provide recommendations to optimize marketing and communications
- Perform general administrative tasks and other duties as requested by the team
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills – ability to present complex information in a clear, concise manner
- Strong visual presentation, formatting, and design skills
- Experience using the internet to conduct research
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and familiarity with Google Docs
- Confident using and managing social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- Independent, self-motivated, and highly organized; ability to perform effectively in a virtual office environment
- Adept at learning new tasks and skills quickly
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with WordPress, MailChimp, Google Analytics, Google Ads, and/or Adobe Creative Suite a plus
Ideal candidates will be pursuing or hold a Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, graphic design, or similar. Experience in the non-profit sector and a passion for environmental conservation, international development, tourism, and/or sustainability is a plus.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please complete this form. Documents submitted should demonstrate your writing and presentation capability.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.