Marketing & Communications Intern
Sustainable Travel International is a mission-driven organization working to protect and conserve our planet’s most vulnerable destinations by transforming tourism’s impact on nature and people. By leveraging the power of travel and tourism, we aim to ensure that communities thrive, cultural heritage is preserved, and environments are healthy for future generations. We empower companies, destination leaders and communities, and travelers to leave behind a positive impact through sustainable tourism education and awareness, impact measurement, and actionable solutions.
We are seeking a fast-learning, motivated, and high-performing individual to support our marketing and communications efforts. In this internship, you will play an important role in communicating the impact of our programs and engaging our diverse audiences in more responsible travel, business, and destination management practices. We are looking for someone passionate about our planet, who wants to contribute to the sustainable tourism movement, and cares about protecting destinations and strengthening communities around the world.
Location: Fully remote. Must be able to overlap at least 5 hours per week with Pacific Time zone working hours.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and pursued as received until the position is filled.
Position Duration: 3-6 months
Required Hours: 20-30 hours per week
Compensation: Interns will be paid at least minimum wage, unless financial compensation is prohibited by their academic program.
Desired Start Date: ASAP
- Create relevant and engaging social media posts, including curating content, drafting copy, designing visuals, and scheduling posts
- Conduct background research to support content development and inform marketing strategy
- Write, edit, and publish web pages, blog posts, or other online content
- Review the website to identify and resolve visual inconsistencies, layout issues, broken links, and functional errors.
- Create and format presentations, outreach handouts, email campaigns and other communications materials
- Identify and prep images for use in communications, and assist with digital asset management
- Support PR efforts and track media coverage
- Track marketing analytics
- Research SEO keywords, implement optimizations, and track search engine performance
- Update organizational templates for proposals, reports, presentations, etc.
- Support the development of educational and awareness-raising materials to engage and empower audiences
- Organize and update the CRM and support partner outreach
- Perform general administrative tasks and other duties as requested by the team
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills in (American) English – the ability to present complex information in a clear, concise manner
- Strong attention to detail; demonstrate precision and a keen eye for catching typos, grammatical errors, and formatting inconsistencies
- Strong visual presentation, formatting, and design skills
- Experience using the internet to conduct research and ensure accuracy in all written content by verifying information through credible sources.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and familiarity with Google Docs
- Confident using and managing social media, particularly LinkedIn
- Independent, self-motivated, and highly organized; ability to perform effectively in a virtual office environment
- Adept at learning new tasks and skills quickly
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with WordPress, Elementor Website Builder, MailChimp, Google Analytics, Google Ads, Canva, Hootsuite, Ahrefs, and/or Adobe Creative Suite a plus
Ideal candidates will be pursuing or holding a Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, graphic design, or similar. Experience in and a passion for environmental conservation, international development, tourism, and/or sustainability is a plus.
How to Apply
To apply for this internship, please complete this form. Documents submitted should demonstrate your writing and presentation capability.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Applications will be reviewed as they arrive until the position is filled.