Graphic Design and Communications Intern
Sustainable Travel International is a non-profit organization working to improve lives and protect places through travel and tourism. By leveraging the power of travel and tourism, which employs 1 in every 10 people on the planet, we aim to ensure that communities thrive, cultural heritage is preserved, and environments are healthy for future generations. Since 2002, we’ve dedicated our efforts to minimizing the negative impacts of tourism and maximizing its positive benefits for communities, cultures, and environments. We’ve implemented programs in more than 75 countries worldwide, with a focus on regions where tourism is the leading driver of GDP.
We are seeking a fast-learning, motivated and high-performing individual to support our marketing and communications efforts. The goal of the STI Future Leaders Program (FLP) is to help the trailblazers of tomorrow gain valuable and unique hands-on work experience today with a leading sustainable tourism NGO. While this is an unpaid position, FLP placements are designed to give participants the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge to real-world projects and initiatives, providing valuable communications experience in the sustainability sphere.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and pursued as received until the position is filled.
Position Duration: Prefer a 6 month commitment, with possibility of extension
Required Hours: 10-15 hours per week
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Key responsibilities of the intern include:
- Design slide decks, outreach handouts, email campaigns and other communications materials
- Format powerpoint presentations, training and educational materials, reports, and other project materials
- Update organizational templates for proposals, reports, presentations, etc.
- Help write and edit content for digital and print communications
- Identify and edit photos/graphics for use in online and print communications, and assist with digital asset management
- Create graphics for use on social media
- Perform marketing research, general administrative tasks, and other duties as requested by the team
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and experience working with and creating templates
- Excellent visual presentation, design, layout, and formatting skills
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Highly proficient using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Web content publishing, experience with WordPress and MailChimp, and knowledge of HTML is a plus
- Experience using the internet to conduct research
- Independent, self-motivated, and highly organized; ability to perform effectively in a virtual office environment
- Ability to present complex and technical information in a clear, concise manner
- Social media experience (particularly Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn)
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Ideal candidates will be pursuing or hold a Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or communications. Experience in the non-profit sector and a keen interest in conservation, international development, tourism, and/or sustainability is a plus. This position is a remote position; however, preference will be given to candidates located in Seattle, WA.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume/CV to Neota Webb at email@example.com and include “Graphic Design and Communications Intern” in the subject line. These documents should demonstrate your writing and presentation capability.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Short-listed candidates will be requested to provide two work samples and three references.