Position Title: Development Manager
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Desired Start Date: November 1, 2020
Location: Remote / Work From Home
Hours: Part Time Position; Temp to Hire Full Time
Sustainable Travel International is a non-profit organization working to protect and conserve our planet’s most vulnerable destinations by transforming tourism’s impact on nature and people. By leveraging the power of travel and tourism, which employs 1 in every 10 people on the planet, we aim to ensure that communities thrive, cultural heritage is preserved, and environments are healthy for future generations. We’ve implemented programs in more than 75 countries worldwide, focusing on destinations that possess vibrant, yet sensitive natural ecosystems and cultural assets, and where tourism is a leading economic driver.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to lead our Donor Development and Engagement efforts. The Development Manager will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with prospective and current donors and partners, and raising funding to support Sustainable Travel International’s mission and objectives. This is a significant opportunity for a high-performing individual to join one of the world’s leading sustainable tourism NGOs.
- Serve as part of the management team, working to ensure organizational health and effectiveness in fundraising and partnership development specifically.
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan and corresponding strategies that support the organization’s values, mission and general objectives. Help set fundraising targets and performance measures.
- Monitor the results of fundraising and development strategies and activities, and regularly report to the CEO on progress.
- Identify and research prospective donors and partners.
- Build, secure, and cultivate relationships with prospective and current donors, including members, business partners, individual donors, and sponsors.
- Prepare and distribute donor communications, presentations, and other materials. Liaise with the team to support communications planning and align fundraising and marketing activities.
- Stay informed on trends in philanthropic giving and best practices for nonprofit fundraising and development. Inform organization leadership on important factors that may influence the organization’s fundraising strategies and approach, including current trends, issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Manage donor database in Kindful CRM, including organizing contacts and maintaining up to date donor and prospect records.
- Appropriately represent Sustainable Travel International, as well as its board and CEO to donors, and partners.
- Support the development and writing of foundation, corporate and government grants and proposals.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, as well as ethical principles for nonprofit fundraising and organizational policies and procedures.
- Liaise with the finance team to ensure sound management of the fundraising budget and donor contributions.
This position reports to the CEO and serves as a part of the management team. Within Sustainable Travel International, the position has primary relationships with the financial operation, marketing and program staff. Outside the organization, the position coordinates with donors, and funding sources.
As a member of the management team, this position helps set the direction and ensures the health of Sustainable Travel International. This individual is expected to:
- Be a competent fundraising and development professional.
- Translate broad goals into achievable steps.
- Help set and manage appropriate expectations.
- Handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues.
- Establish strong and appropriate relationships with CEO, staff, and donors.
- Plan and meet deadlines.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management.
- Demonstrate initiative and work as a team player.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards in fundraising.
- Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and the not-for-profit sector.
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development.
- A passion for travel, tourism and sustainability.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience with demonstrated success developing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans, and engaging donors and soliciting contributions.
- Excellent short and long-term planning, management, and evaluation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience soliciting contributions of time and money.
- Excellent relationship management skills. Proven ability to cultivate and grow high-yield partnerships and donor relationships.
- Familiarity with donor motivations and giving trends, as well as best practices and techniques for donor research, cultivation, solicitation, and retention.
- An ability to motivate, inspire, innovate, and think creatively.
- Superior organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Experience writing proposals and grants.
- Experience creating compelling donor-facing messaging and outreach materials.
- A proven ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work efficiently.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and familiarity with Google Docs.
- Experience using CRM systems.
- A high degree of personal initiative.
- The desire to make a significant contribution to a global organization that is making a difference.
- Membership in a professional fundraising association.
- Baseline certification in fundraising, the CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Professional) is preferred.
Significant career opportunity for the right candidate.
Apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered as they arrive until 1 November. Put “Development Manager” in the subject title. Include a one-page cover letter, and a CV/Resume of no more than two-pages). These documents should demonstrate your writing and presentation capability. Put your last name in CAPS in the file name of any attached document. Short-listed candidates will be requested to provide two work samples and the names and contact details of three references.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.