Timberline Lodge and Ski Area was the first ski resort in the world to be certified to the STEP standard for its commitment toward sustainable business practices and responsible tourism. The lodge was dedicated by Franklin Roosevelt in 1937 as a “testament to the workers” and has continued to stay true to its historic foundation. Located in Mount Hood National Forest, this resort began working with Sustainable Travel International on a strategic tourism plan to help preserve its alpine ecosystems and unique cultural and community heritage.
- Comprehensive company-wide recycling program including in-room recycling for guests
- New thermo pane windows in all guest rooms and other energy efficient upgrades
- Implemented new giving-back program benefitting children throughout Oregon
- Overnight guest philanthropy options to benefit the National Forest Foundation and Friends of Timberline
- Initiated new employee-led “Green Team”