In 2011, we teamed up with TUI Travel, The Travel Foundation and Intasave Partnership to pilot a methodology that has evolved into our Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic. This approach results in a cost-effective destination risk assessment that allows stakeholders to develop a realistic intervention plan for sustainability. Private sector participants work with other destination decision-makers, including international tour operators and multi-national organizations, to evaluate the health of natural and economic assets, while assessing environmental, social and political impacts.
Read the resulting Risk Assessment Reports.
- Develop risk scenarios for each pilot destination (Turkey, Cape Verde and Tunisia)
- Construct a baseline and indicator tool to gather destination data and information
- Design a participatory framework for stakeholders to assess and prioritize sustainability risks
- Manage three successful pilots through data analysis and recommendations
- Create destination-level interventions to mitigate risks
- Increased stakeholder awareness at each destination with regards to sustainability issues and engagement with the tourism sector
- A rapid, robust and replicable methodology to access sustainability risk to tourism in destinations
- A set of pragmatic destination-level interventions designed to mitigate sustainability risk for stakeholders