The first statewide program of its kind, the Oregon Travel Philanthropy Fund connects businesses and travelers to local tourism projects that improve the natural environment and support local culture, while protecting the destination for future generations of visitors.
In partnership with Travel Oregon, Sustainable Travel International designed and developed the Oregon Travel Philanthropy Fund in 2010-11, and launched in 2012 . Working in collaboration with other stakeholders around the state, the project team has identified and vetted projects, promoted the fund, and recruited and educated participating businesses. More than $70,000 has been raised since the program’s inception, and distributed to the fund’s project beneficiaries around the state of Oregon.
- Contribute to the welfare of Oregon’s natural and cultural resources
- Engage key stakeholders in project selection consistent with the Fund’s mission
- Promote the fund and recruit participants
- Educate travelers, local businesses, and communities on the importance of giving back and sustainable resource use
- Collect funds from local businesses and disperse to project managers
- Maintain financial transparency and accountability
- Monitor and evaluate project implementation
- Sustainable tourism projects funded in Oregon’s seven regions, focused on natural and cultural resources
- Volunteers, travelers, and local businesses engaged with community sustainability initiatives
- Brand value of sustainability reinforced for travelers, local businesses and industry groups
- More than US$70,000 raised since the program’s inception