Tourism industry leaders in Bonaire are well on the path to achieving their goal of becoming the world’s first carbon-neutral island destination. Tourism Corporation Bonaire (TCB) and Sustainable Travel International have set in motion a project to calculate, reduce, and offset the carbon footprint associated with travel and tourism to and within Bonaire in order to mitigate the negative environmental impacts. With the assessment of Bonaire’s carbon footprint complete and an educational program targeting businesses, tourists and residents in place, TCB and other stakeholders are now focused on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and offsetting unavoidable emissions.
- Establish Bonaire as the first destination in the world with a carbon neutral tourism industry
- Create and implement a strategy to help reduce existing tourism-related greenhouse gas emissions
- Engage local stakeholders in the public and private sectors
- Create effective branding and educational marketing collateral to further establish Bonaire as a green, low-carbon destination
- Completed assessment of the carbon footprint of tourism
- Evaluated existing policies and programs that support reforestation, renewable energy and energy efficiency in Bonaire