Boulder Inn, a Best Western Plus franchise located in Boulder, Colorado, is consistently focused on improving its bottom line while standing out through its sustainable business practices. The STEP tourism certification process has helped the hotel managers design and implement a strategic green tourism plan, while working to improve to the guest experience. A Green Team, comprised of volunteer Boulder Inn associates, meets regularly to brainstorm, plan, and manage new environmentally-based responsible travel programs.
- Dual flush toilets have been installed in every guest room and account for a 44% water savings from former 1.6 gallon/flush toilets
- Installed a 19.8 kW solar panel array that is anticipated to reduce electricity consumption by 25% in the next 12 months
- Added new Designtex upholstered chairs that are made from 91% post-industrial and 9% post-consumer recycled materials into every guest room
- The introduction of more reusable, recyclable and biodegradable products will limit paper-based communications and marketing collateral
- Implemented a towel and linen reuse policy that is supported by half of the guests who stay longer than one night at the hotel
- Limit vehicle usage by advising guests to use public transportation, making bikes available to clients, and providing a valid bus pass for all employees
- Promote buying locally and partner with local businesses