Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic
A Practical and Actionable Evaluation Tool
The Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic is designed to help both destination managers and the private sector evaluate the collective on-the-ground impacts of sustainability efforts to date. Participants establish a clear set of sustainable management priorities, while forging a realistic path forward for destination stakeholders.
The tool provides a snapshot of the destination’s sustainability status, a summary of destination management priorities, and valuable information to inform and shape destination level policy.
The Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic is participatory in nature and engages leaders from key stakeholder groups every step of the way—from visioning and providing inputs, to validating results and defining possible quick-win projects. It uses a traffic light system to help the destination prioritize the most salient issues.
Sustainable Travel International works hand-in-hand with a Destination Liaison to tailor the process to the destination’s particular needs, while ensuring knowledge transfer and building of local capacity.
- Comprehensive destination sustainability assessment
- Destination report card, highlighting risks and areas for improvement
- Multi-stakeholder action planning forum
- Practical action projects that are ready for implementation
- Support for establishing a multi-sector Destination Stewardship Council
The engagement process takes place over four collaborative phases:
- Define destination boundaries, review historical tourism data, and understand the sustainability challenges and opportunities faced by the destination.
- Begin the learning process, engage in critical research, and establish place-based circumstances that will inform the remainder of the process.
- Conduct one-on-one interviews and focus group meetings with all key stakeholder groups to discuss key issues, populate diagnostic tool, fill information gaps, and analyze information gathered.
- Begin to prioritize destination sustainability issues.
Validation & Action Planning
- The results of the on-site evaluation are presented to stakeholders for feedback and validation. Sustainable Travel International works with destination managers and key stakeholders to develop a practical action agenda which addresses the priority issues identified. The planning process includes an indicator monitoring element, ensuring strategies are adaptive to changing circumstances, and support for establishing a multi-sector Destination Stewardship Council.
- Secure stakeholder buy-in for diagnostic results and work together to tackle priorities through three quick-win projects.
Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic Report
- Complete Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic report, which includes the results of the evaluation, recommendations for local initiatives, and revisions based on client feedback.
- A comprehensive and easy-to-reference assessment of your destination’s sustainability status, priority indicators and road map.
Sustainable Travel International’s Rapid Sustainable Destination Diagnostic is helping us to make sustainability truly actionable. Through this process, we have reaffirmed our commitment to share responsibility for more effective sustainable destination management. This is a monumental accomplishment.
- Javier Pizaña, President, Grupo Intersectorial, Cozumel
Are you ready
to tell your
Call or email Sustainable Travel International to schedule a consultation: