Future Leaders Internship Program
Role: Full or Part time
Location: Virtual office, but preference given to those living in one of the following cities – Portland, OR, Wilmington, NC, Washington, DC or New York, NY
Deadline for applications: October 27, 2014
Sustainable Travel International leads the world in helping communities and businesses develop the tools and relationships they need to build a better future through tourism.
We are currently seeking a professional volunteer or graduate student with a passion for our mission, and an interest in gaining experience while working closely with our full-time staff to join our Future Leaders Program.
The goal of the Future Leaders Program (FLP) is to help tomorrows tourism trailblazers gain valuable hands-on work experience and relationships. FLP placements are short-term (2 to 6 months in duration) and are designed to give participants the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge to real-world projects and initiatives that are making a difference worldwide. These positions are unpaid, but there is potential for merit-based compensation.
We operate a virtual office environment but will give preference to candidates located within two hours of our offices located near or around Portland, OR, Wilmington, NC, Washington, DC or New York, NY.
Essential qualifications and requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in tourism or related subject
- Excellent skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- A passion for travel, tourism and sustainability
- Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong desktop research skills
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Available 10-15 hours a week (minimum)
- Willing to work for hands-on experience or for school credit
- The desire to make a significant contribution to a global organization making a social difference
- Familiarity with Google Apps, online survey tools
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills
- Ability to perform effectively in a virtual office environment
- Experience in the nonprofit sector
- Background in and/or passion for sustainability, corporate social responsibility, travel and tourism, or similar experiences
- Languages (Spanish and or French preferred)
This is an unpaid leadership development opportunity with growth potential for the right candidate. However, there is potential for merit-based compensation.
We currently have 1 Future Leaders Program placement available:
Please note: Sustainable Travel International generally does not consider candidates for positions who would require sponsorship of a visa to work in the United States on a continuing basis.